Jared’s skill has been noted by the Court:
“...Mr. Kantor - as one of the best cross-examinations in brief compass that I have had the pleasure to read not only as a lawyer but more importantly as a judge. …And may I also say as well, I want to reiterate the quality of your written work…. You, gentlemen, are extremely skilled and it was -- I only wish I could clone and put you through the bar. That’s the quality that you do and I’m really impressed and I want to thank you. …your clients are fortunate to have you as their counsel. I tell you that in all sincerity. So it’s been a pleasure to have you before [me] and I thank you much for the opportunity to preside over this case.”
Jared has acted on behalf of the following:
- Beneficiaries to ensure they receive their entitlement and to ensure the wishes of the testator/deceased are followed.
- Spouses, adult interdependent partners, and dependant adults to ensure they receive sufficient funds from the estate to ensure a level of care to which they are entitled.
- Personal Representatives / Executors in defending claims for alleged maintenance and support, alleged undue influence, and challenges to the testator/deceased’s will.
Jared has advocated on behalf of clients in matters ranging from $500K to $105 Million, as well as International Trust Disputes in the Bahamas and Barbados, in matters such as:
- Contested Wills / Will Challenges
- Removal of Personal Representatives / Executors for reasons such as depletion of estate assets, misconduct, delay, mismanagement, and fraud.
- Resulting and/or Constructive Trust claims
- Dependant / spousal support claims
- Unjust enrichment claims
Jared successfully defended a claim where Executors sought over $2 Million in compensation for their administration of an Estate. The Court ultimately sided with Jared’s position, and awarded the Executors a fraction of what was sought, Jared’s work resulted in over $1 Million being preserved for the beneficiaries of the Estate. This decision is now the definitive authority on executor / personal representative compensation in Alberta.
Jared was also successful in having the court dismiss a $12+ Million claim against an Estate, wherein the opposing party claimed a trust relationship with the deceased.
Jared has appeared in the Alberta Court of Appeal, British Columbia Court of Appeal, the Court of Queen’s Bench of Alberta and the Provincial Court of Alberta.
Education & Year of Call:
Admitted to the Alberta Bar, 2004
University of Saskatchewan, LL.B., 2003
University of Alberta, B.A., 2000
Formal Speaking Engagements:
Jared has been personally invited to attend at the upcoming Estate Planning & Litigation Forum by Cambridge Forums Inc., in April 2018, in Cambridge, Ontario.
Jared presents educational seminars to banking and other financial institutions, and is a frequent speaker for the Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA), regarding estate matters:
“Caught Red-Handed’: Litigation against Attorneys in Trouble”, Legal Education Society of Alberta (LESA), April 2016
"Acting as Attorney under an Enduring Power of Attorney", Estate Planning Council, AGM, November 3, 2014
"Attorney School: For Those Who Are a Power of Attorney for a Loved One", Knowledge Bureau, August 2013
Publications & Articles:
Estate Litigation News Bulletin: "If Wishes Were Willed", The Estate of Osborne, Testamentary Intent and WSA s. 71, Spring 2014
Estate Litigation News Bulletin: "Schwartz Estate v. Kwinter: A Cautionary Tale for Estate Litigation", Spring 2014